Radom (Poland) is located in the centre of Radom Plain, approximately 100km south of Warsaw, in the fork of the Vistula and Pilica rivers. At the turn of the 8th and 9th centuries, in the valley of the Mleczna river the first type of rural settlements were established, inhabited by farmers and fishermen. The settlement developed into an early-medieval town, chartered according to the Środa law, a variant of the Magdeburg law.
By the end of the 18th century Radom was in a state of neglect. The ancient city walls were in ruin. Private houses, town and ecclesiastical property were devastated and in need of renovation. Streets were muddy and difficult to pass. The Mleczna river lowlands and areas situated to the south were repeatedly flooded. There was an urgent need to dry and re-organize the town. In 1822 the regulation plan concerning organisation and expansion of Radom was approved.
One of the aims of the project was to establish new residential areas in the developing town, which already spread beyond its original medieval boundaries. In the years 1918-1945 the development of the city continued. The inclusion of Radom to the Central Industrial District allowed the creation of several factories. In 1933 a new railway line was built connecting Radom and Warsaw.
Alternating periods of flooding or drying forest are occurring more frequently than before. In 2013, the area of more than 920 ha was damaged due to interference of water relations including 560 ha of flooding area and 360 ha of drying area. Other abiotic and anthropogenic factors like low or high temperatures, frost and hail have smaller, local significance. In 2013 hail caused damage to more than 400 ha, fire affected 12 hectares while the extreme temperatures damaged 7 hectares.
Radom is planning to control flood water by implementing effective and cost-efficient green infrastructure measures, by supporting natural water retention through the restoration and preservation of natural green areas and wetlands.